Request: make coff2omf free

Sat Feb 24 10:00:55 PST 2007

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> "Frits van Bommel" <fvbommel at REMwOVExCAPSs.nl> wrote in message
> news:erpp6f$2cka$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> torhu wrote:
>>> I'm working on translating headers for a C lib called allegroGL to D. The
>>> C lib isn't set up for building DLLs on windows, only libs for static
>>> linking.  So I'm stuck with mingw or msvc lib files that I can't link
>>> with my D objects.
[snip]
>> Can't you just compile it with DMC? It shares the backend with DMD, so it
>> should produce link-compatible output.
>
> Not all libraries come with source.  Yeah, you'll probably say "then you
> shouldn't use them" but that's just impractical.

Actually, I wouldn't say that.

I however do happen to know Allegro _is_ open source, and assumed
AllegroGL was as well. And as far as I cam tell I was right about that:
http://allegrogl.sourceforge.net/
Anonymous SVN access is provided and it seem the sourceforge download
page offers _only_ source downloads. So I'm not even sure where to get a
binary static library without building it yourself, though there are
usually unofficial binary packagers for such source-only libs.

Now I've just looked at the quickstart docs, and it doesn't seem to
provide instructions for DMC. So if it doesn't compile on DMC that's a
different story. All I asked was if torhu had looked into the possibility.