Compile time string manipulation caveats

Hasan Aljudy hasan.aljudy at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 17:26:58 PST 2007

Gregor Richards wrote:
> Hasan Aljudy wrote:
>> I discovered that compile-time functions can't use non-static arrays
>> .. implying that we can't use char[] which is a dynamic array.
>> However, this is essential for any non-trivial string parsing (even
>> for trivial ones, in fact), so how do we overcome this problem?
>>

> Uh, compile-time functions /can/ use dynamic arrays.
>
>  - Gregor Richards

oh, sorry my mistake,
I had a piece of code which was refusing to be compile-time executed, I
didn't see anything wrong with it, but then I saw this:
------------
expressions in the function may not:
     * use pointers, delegates, *** non-const arrays ***, structs,
unions or classes
and thought that was causing the problem ...

It turned out that I had a line:
if( result != "" )
which was causing the problem, I changed it to
if( result.length > 0 )
and my function was executing at run-time now!