Lib change leads to larger executables

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 17:31:18 PST 2007

I want to point out also that there /is/ a way to partially side-step this
issue, believe it or not:

Use GDC and build Tango or Phobos as a shared library (on non-win32
systems naturally). Win32 dlls are painfully limited in this regard so
it's a no-go there, and dmd (I believe) still doesn't support shared libs
on linux.

Suddenly, the problem of fat binaries and phantom dependencies is
neatly abstracted away... well, in a matter of speaking only since the
issue still exists, I'm sure, in some sense. But seeing a Tango or Phobos
as a shared library tends to make us all have warm, fuzzy feelings about
the whole thing. :)

When alls said and done, though... probably the equivalent amount of
object code is loaded into memory (phantom objects included), except that
now the library is shared by D programs instead.

-JJR