Request: make coff2omf free

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Sat Feb 24 17:41:52 PST 2007

John Reimer wrote:
> Otherwise, given all the problems a person can have developing on win32
> (specifically while trying to work with old object formats), I'd
> suggest moving to a unix type operating system instead where these kind of
> problems don't exist.  Since the latter is not a practical solution, you
> can also just use mingw -- not the best solution, but at least it's well
> supported, and uses /a/ coff format.

One thing that Microsoft does is keep changing their omf format. It's a
full time job just keeping up with that, that's why I gave it up. If I
ever do update the entire omf toolchain, it'll be to ELF/Dwarf format,
not because I like them (they are overly complicated) but because being
ubiquitous on Linux it reduces my workload.

> PS. I speak as one who bought the Digitalmars C/C++ compiler suite from
> Walter a few years ago.  I have no complaints about the quality of
> software, other than the feeling that some things are outdated.

Some of the things are outdated. Before I got it, it was developed by a
small army of very competent people. A few individuals, like Andrew
Bushnell, who were former developers on it have helped me out with it,
but it's largely been my own efforts on it, and I try to do what's most
effective with my resources.