Request: make coff2omf free

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Sat Feb 24 21:58:18 PST 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> Or if it is then maybe Walter should provide a web-based coff2omf
>> service.  $2 a pop, and if it doesn't work you don't pay.  Or
>> something like that.  I might give that a try.  :-)
>
> It's only $15. And I've been known to give refunds to people it didn't
> work for, even though I think each of the utilities in the EUP are
> easily worth $15 by themselves. OBJ2ASM in particular!

Chmod?  Worth $15?  By itself?? C'mon.  :-)

As for OBJ2ASM, that one I can believe is worth every penny to someone
who actually understands ASM.  But to me it's about as useful as a slide
rule.  libunres and patchobj seem to be similar situations.

The rest of the utilities look to be either ports of Unix-like tools
(that are available for free from various other sources),  or duplicates
of tools that come with Visual Studio (dumpexe/dumpobj==dumpbin).  Or
just obsolete (flpyimg? who uses floppies any more?).

So in the end the only thing left that's of any interest to me (and I
suspect not just me) is coff2omf.

Thinking about it, it might actually seem like a better deal if you said
it was $15 for coff2omf and obj2asm, and the rest of the stuff is thrown
in for free.  As it is the web page seems to imply that coff2omf is
about equal to chmod in terms of programming effort and is contributing
equally to the cost.

But anyway, after hearing more about the impossibility of successfully
groking all purportedly COFF lib files, it seems to me that making DLL's
is the best approach.

--bb