Dhrystone speed dmd vs gdc

Manfred Nowak svv1999 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 24 22:35:34 PST 2007

downs wrote

> I just ran the samples/dhry.d

Warning! That is a sample only!

I remember tests of my own with similar results. But on more careful
analysis it turned out, that dhry.d seems to be unusable as a
benchmark.

AFAIR this was due to some function f() which converges to the value
1.0. GCC's math library allowed that function to reach 1.0, whereas DMD
let it stay at 1.0-epsilon.

I did not analyse that any further because I am at no means an expert
in benchmarking and in addition do not want to explore that field.

My impression was though, that because f() was used in some
multiplication GCC may have made itself an unfair advantage:
multiplication with 1.0 seems to be much easier (and therefore faster!)
than multiplication with 1.0-epsilon.

-manfred