Request: make coff2omf free

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Sun Feb 25 01:24:08 PST 2007

John Reimer wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 22:33:11 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Yes. Elf (for object files, anyway) is not operating system dependent.
> I can see that this is true in theory only.  I don't recall
> seeing any practical examples of it.

Having implemented an Elf object file generator and dumper, I can say
that there aren't any OS dependencies in it.

> Does the Windows OS care about object format once a binary is linked into
> an executable (ie, the OS exec loader)?

It cannot because it never sees the obj file.

> Is there an instance where object
> format might be of interest to the OS?

It's the linker's job to create an exe file in the format recognized by
the OS. Just like the OS never sees source code, it doesn't see object
files either.