[OT] Getting Flash to work in Firefox on Linux

kenny funisher at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 02:39:27 PST 2007

Michiel wrote:
> kenny wrote:
>
>> can you paste me "lsof | grep snd"
>>
>> if you don't have lsof, emerge lsof
>>
>> The reason why I say this is because if you have a device using the old oss interface, I've seen my sound not work before. running that command, I can find out what devices are using my sound, to close them
>
> The output is empty.
>
> Though let me clarify: I do get sound out of other applications (like
> Xine). But only one application at a time.
>
> Any ideas?

when I do:

L3 ~ # ls /dev/snd/
controlC0  pcmC0D0c  pcmC0D0p  seq  timer

does yours look like that too? It looks like xine is using a different interface to the sound than it should. For example, I emerged gxine so I could show you:

L3 ~ # lsof | grep xine | grep snd
gxine      6950       root  mem       CHR     116,16                 2975 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
gxine      6950       root    9u      CHR      116,0                 2966 /dev/snd/controlC0
gxine      6950       root   15r      CHR     116,33                 3091 /dev/snd/timer
... truncated ...

I'm not exactly sure, but I'd look into that.