Request: make coff2omf free

Julio César Carrascal Urquijo jcesar at phreaker.net
Sun Feb 25 08:14:08 PST 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> Since I have to support Elf anyway, it still leaves me supporting two
> formats.

I take from this that you plan on dumping OMF support on DMD for Windows
and generate ELF .obj on both platforms. Right?

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of:

 > Uses Existing Tools
 >
 > D produces code in standard object file format, enabling the use of
 > standard assemblers, linkers, debuggers, profilers, exe compressors,
 > and other analyzers, as well as linking to code written in other
 > languages.

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/overview.html

I haven't seen any linker / librarian on windows that support ELF.

Also, I think this change will adversely affect DDL
(http://dsource.org/projects/ddl/) since it loads the .obj files and
links them directly into the application.