Request: make coff2omf free

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Sun Feb 25 09:50:22 PST 2007

Jascha Wetzel wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> Thinking about it, it might actually seem like a better deal if you said
>> it was $15 for coff2omf and obj2asm, and the rest of the stuff is thrown
>> in for free.  As it is the web page seems to imply that coff2omf is
>> about equal to chmod in terms of programming effort and is contributing
>> equally to the cost.
>
> or let's say you support walter's multi-year effort for D by buying the
> package, no matter it's content. i'd buy a megabyte of white noise for
> that matter ;)
> but i found that EUP's grep tool is even more useful than white noise...

Yeh, I might find that sort of argument persuasive too.  :-)

There's a guy who put a ton of effort into making another project I use
into something very solid.  Though it's open source, he decided to make
the documentation he wrote for it be non-free.  So I bought it, even
though I didn't really need it that much, because the guy said
documentation sales would help him out and encourage his effort.  I also
contributed to buying the guy and his family a ski vacation as a thanks
for the effort.  However, the DM website doesn't anywhere say I should
buy the EUP because Walter's a great guy and he puts tons of time into D
and making it free for everybody, and that buying it will help support
and encourage him to continue work on D.

I'd be willing to contribute similarly to D.  But as far as I know
Walter's never asked for such a thing (which is where I cooked up my
theory that Walter must have made a small fortune from the Zortech
compiler and now he's living in a mansion somewhere on the outskirts of
Seattle, working full time on D as an alternative to early retirement
just to keep from getting bored.)

--bb