Request: make coff2omf free

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Sun Feb 25 10:09:51 PST 2007

John Reimer wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 18:38:34 +0100, Frits van Bommel wrote:
>
>> John Reimer wrote:

>>> Right.  Oh and I forgot about the grep tool.  It is good! :)
>> Why are you so excited about DM's grep?
>> Is it much better than the GNU version?[1]
>> Because that one is available for free, even on Windows.
>>  From http://www.digitalmars.com/ctg/grep.html, the only features
>> mentioned that the GNU version doesn't (or at least that I don't know
>> how to turn on) are -v (verbose, woohoo ;) ), and wide character
>> searching. That last one may be useful for some people, but AFAIK I
>> don't even have any text files with wide characters on my computer.
>>
>> Unless, of course, you're being sarcastic.
>>

>> [1]: I can understand it being more useful than white noise ;).
>

> Um?  Excited?  I was just being positive, not excited. :)  There aren't a
> whole lot of tools in the small package in which I'm interested.  But I'm
> willing to agree when I see one that was useful?  Am I not allowed to show
> such interest? :)
>
> Sure grep is available for free elsewhere.  Have a look at my other post.
> But most other packages have fairly hefty dependencies before you get to
> have your favourite free tool. :)  I'm willing to put up with those
> dependencies, but not everyone is likely willing to go full-out linux layer
> just to get some grep functionality.
>
> Is the GNU version standalone on windows?  Then you have a valid argument.

I don't know about the one Frits mentioned, but the one at the link I
posted is.

"""
Here are some ports of common GNU utilities to native Win32. In this
context, native means the executables do only depend on the Microsoft
C-runtime (msvcrt.dll) and not an emulation layer like that provided by
Cygwin  tools.
"""
       -- http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

--bb