Request: make coff2omf free

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 15:42:13 PST 2007

Frits van Bommel wrote:
> John Reimer wrote:

>>> DDL already supports ELF (as well as COFF/PE). I can't find any
>>> mention on the site that this feature is not available on Windows.
>>
>> Where, oh where is Pragma?  He could tell us... :)
>>
>> Or I may just go try it out...
>
> What I meant was "I'm pretty sure it works already :)".
> I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, but if there was one I'm
> pretty sure it would be noted on the site. Instead, there's mention of
> the possibility of OS-independent dynamic libraries.

I'm certainly no expert but from what I do know, the container the code
is kept in is largely irrelevant.  All that really matters is that it's
for the right CPU (hopefully the one you're using) and that a few other
things are done the same way (like exceptions).

I think it's kind of like the difference between a text file stored in
an archive.  Whether you use ZIP, RAR or 7z is beside the point: it's
more important that the text file is in a language you understand :P

Finally, I believe the mention of OS-independent libraries was referring
to the possibility of writing shims that, providing the code was for the
right CPU, would resolve the other differences like exception handling.
 But then, I could be wrong :P

	-- Daniel

--
Unlike Knuth, I have neither proven or tried the above; it may not even
make sense.