This may sound silly but...

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Tue Feb 27 23:49:33 PST 2007

Manfred Nowak wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote
>
>> code.google.com now has a d-mode
>
> That's interesting: how do they filter D-code embedded in html?

I have no idea, but you could imagine a search algorithm that looks for
a combination of keywords or patterns that are peculiar to a given
language.  For example if you see "foreach(* ; *)" it's a pretty good
indicator you're looking at D code.  Not many languages have "foreach"
followed by a semicolon in the following parentheses.

I could imagine you could even automate the process of finding such
characteristic patterns by throwing a mass of known D code at some sort
of learning algorithm.

But I don't know what Google actually does.

--bb