Where Is THE Hype?

Jeff jeffrparsons at optusnet.com.au
Mon Jan 1 01:07:10 PST 2007

Hasan Aljudy wrote:
> As I recall, tomorrow/today we should have D v1.0, but sheesh, shouldn't
> we be making a big fuss about it? Shouldn't we hype up the web before
> releasing it?

It's not necessarily tomorrow, is it? I somehow gained the impression
that the goal was a feature freeze as close to new year as possible,
then whatever time needed to polish things off before release? Not sure...

Anyway, that's just an aside. My real question is: are you sure that
artificial hype is actually a good idea in this case? What's going to be
so spectacular about D1.0 for the /general public/ over previous
versions? I understand the impact on library developers especially, but
most of those interested are probably already well aware of what's
happening.

What I'm worried about is over-hyping a release that's essentially just
a frozen specification, and having potential users come and be
disappointed when they find a lack of great and immediately useable
libraries (including the standard library), partly because no existing
library developers will have had time to react to the release yet.

Any thoughts on that problem? Am I blowing this way out of proportion?