Where Is THE Hype?

Hasan Aljudy hasan.aljudy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 04:17:02 PST 2007

Jeff wrote:
> Hasan Aljudy wrote:
>> As I recall, tomorrow/today we should have D v1.0, but sheesh,
>> shouldn't we be making a big fuss about it? Shouldn't we hype up the
>> web before releasing it?
>
> It's not necessarily tomorrow, is it? I somehow gained the impression
> that the goal was a feature freeze as close to new year as possible,
> then whatever time needed to polish things off before release? Not sure...
>
> Anyway, that's just an aside. My real question is: are you sure that
> artificial hype is actually a good idea in this case? What's going to be
> so spectacular about D1.0 for the /general public/ over previous
> versions? I understand the impact on library developers especially, but
> most of those interested are probably already well aware of what's
> happening.
>
> What I'm worried about is over-hyping a release that's essentially just
> a frozen specification, and having potential users come and be
> disappointed when they find a lack of great and immediately useable
> libraries (including the standard library), partly because no existing
> library developers will have had time to react to the release yet.
>
> Any thoughts on that problem? Am I blowing this way out of proportion?

The idea is just to let people know about v1.0 and the feature freeze,
because as it stands, I don't think anyone knows about it other the NG
regulars. For example, even you don't know about it. It was announced by
Walter a while ago in digitalmars.D.announce; that's it. No one outside
the NG knows about it unless he's heard it from someone else.