2 folders named 'dm'

Chris Nicholson-Sauls ibisbasenji at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 21:04:22 PST 2007

hsfrey wrote:
> I'm a clueless newbie who just tried to download D from digitalmars.
> I got 2 zips, dmc.zip & dmd.zip.
> The first expanded to a folder named 'dm' & I moved it to my Programs folder.
> The second expanded to 2 folders, one named 'dmd', and the other named AGAIN,
> 'dm', but much smaller than the original 'dm' folder.
> I can't move it to my Programs folder, since it'll overwrite the 'dm' already
> there.
> Was Gibt?
>
> Harvey

Two things.

First, you'll probably be better off putting them at the root rather than the Programs
folder.  (Mostly the linker's fault.  Might be resolvable, but I've never bothered trying.
  Works well from C:\ so I let it be.)

Second, the 'dm' from dmd.zip is actually /meant/ to overwrite the first one.  :)  So let
it.  Seems unintuitive, I know... but the data from dmd.zip is the actual D compiler,
while that from dmc.zip is the backend, which happens to also be the backend to DMC
(DigitalMars C/C++ Compiler).

-- Chris Nicholson-Sauls