Support for functional programming paradigm

Andrey Khropov andkhropov_nosp at m_mtu-net.ru
Tue Jan 2 15:23:43 PST 2007

Glen Perkins wrote:

> I was aware of Nemerle but not Scala. Thanks for the pointers to both.
>
> There are lots of great ideas in all the nearly unused languages out there.

In many cases they are unused because of immaturity of compiler/interpreter or
libraries.

The good thing about Nemerle and Scala is that they are .NET and JVM-based.
That means mature VM, solid libraries and transparent interop with other
.NET/JVM languages are readily available.

> Too bad developing your own language is such a herculean task that getting
> what you really want is almost impossible. You either devote your life to it
> (think of Walter, Guido, Matz, Bjarne, etc.) and get what you want, or you
> find someone else who's already devoting HIS life to something similar to
> what you want and try to persuade him to modify it.

I think that at least the partial solution to this problem is to allow powerful
syntax extensions so you can adapt the language for your own needs.

Lisp and Nemerle are the two examples of this approach.

--
AKhropov