Survey - what language are you coming from?

Tue Jan 2 18:41:49 PST 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> I know you all are early adopters of D, and that's a special breed
> different from the vast majority of programmers. But still, it would be
>  useful (in writing documentation) to know what language was your
> primary tool before coming to D. I also know that many of you are handy
> with multiple diverse languages, I just want to know the primary one.

I'm a recovered C++ programmer :).
Before that, I mostly used Java with a side-trip into Python.

Less important influences:
I started out on Basic (QBasic, VB/Dos, VB/Win 3-5) but that's hardly
relevant anymore. Used VB.NET for a school project last year (not my
choice; we got an existing program written in VB6 & converted to .NET
before adding features. I believe nightmare is the correct term, but
that may have had a lot to do with the original code base as well).
I've also used Pascal for a while (Turbo & Delphi) but not for anything
big (mostly school work and a programming competition).
I'm sure I forgot to mention some languages I tried out but didn't use
for any length of time.

[1]: Well technically it was on Windows 9x, but...