Survey - what language are you coming from?

Kirk McDonald kirklin.mcdonald at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 20:30:15 PST 2007

Kyle Furlong wrote:
> Perhaps once PyD is rock solid, Kirk could take a crack at RuD? (Rudy?)
> (RubyD?) The problem is roughly equivalent, allowing for eccentricities
> in their respective C API's.

I've looked at doing this, actually. Two things stand in my way, both
surmountable:

(1) I don't know Ruby or, by extension, the Ruby C API very well. The
documentation for it isn't very good either. (Of course, the same could
be said about parts of the Python/C API.) I am simply not as into Ruby
as I am into Python.

(2) There are no complete D bindings for the Ruby API, and I don't
really have the patience to write them. Though much of the API can be
automatically bound with htod or BCD (and I have an htod version around
here somewhere), portions of it consist of macros or macro functions
that can't be automatically converted. Deja Augustine and David Rushby
had already written the Python/C bindings before I ever started Pyd, and
my interest in writing a "Rudy"-type project would be greatly improved
if I didn't have to do the drudge work of writing the bindings.

--
Kirk McDonald
Pyd: Wrapping Python with D