Survey - what language are you coming from?

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Tue Jan 2 21:53:58 PST 2007

bls wrote:
> Fortran rules, allways good to see a language without having any features
> (difficult things like recursion. ..Allways good to keep this stuff away
> from math !)
> is able to survive.    Men I mean we are not working on a PDP11  anymore!
>
> At least some hope for D     <vvbg>  .
> Bjoern

I used to do Fortran on an 11!

Let's see. I started with BASIC on something called a "Business 6"
computer, perhaps I got the name wrong. Programmed it with punch card
decks. Wish I'd kept one of my old card decks!

Upgraded to Basic on a PDP-10. Rapidly outgrew that, went on to
FORTRAN-10, MACRO-10, then 6800 asm, 6502 asm, that crazy 10 bit byte
CPU I forgot the name of in the Mattel Intellivision, Pascal,
FORTRAN-11, MACRO-11, swore off computers, 8088 asm, C, C++, Java,
Javascript, D.

Notably absent is Lisp. I did some emacs lisp programming, but never
liked it and never got the hang of it.