DMD vs GDC

Pragma ericanderton at yahoo.removeme.com
Wed Jan 3 10:48:44 PST 2007

Bob W wrote:
> There is a huge difference between the two, which gets
> noticed as projects tend to grow:
>
> DMD will blow away GDC in terms of compile/link speed.
> This is a major factor why I'd currently prefer DMD over
> GDC. It is just so much nicer to work with a system which
> does not force you too often into a coffee break.
>
> But if I am offered something like "VDC" (D plus the
> MS Visual Studio C++ compiler as the backend), I'd be
> tempted.
>
> Imagine: top compile speed, top code efficiency paired
> with the ability to link directly to PE-COFF object code,
> Win32 DLLs plus some other advantages (maybe even
> an IDE ?).

FWIW, a D-to-C compiler may be more useful in the end - or is that what
you had in mind?

That way, all the embedded platforms and other hard to port targets get
a free ride - not just visual studio. :)

Anyway, I think the concept has been brought up before, but the D beta
release schedule probably squashed it flat before it got moving (as
happened with a lot of other frontend projects).  Now that D1.0 is out,
that's no longer a problem.

--
- EricAnderton at yahoo