Survey - what language are you coming from?

Steve Horne stephenwantshornenospam100 at aol.com
Wed Jan 3 11:44:41 PST 2007

In recent years, primarily C++.

Previous primary languages (in rough order) have included...

Various Basics
Assembler (6502, 68000, 8086)
COBOL
Borland Turbo Pascal (mainly v4)
Modula 2
Ada

Python has had more use than most of these 'primary' languages, but
always as a secondary, occasional-use language - I've just kept on
using it longer than any other language (since version 1.4, which I
used back when my main language was Ada). Despite that, somehow, even
though I have no problems using it, I always seem to have areas of
confusion relating to its semantics.

In truth, D is still the third choice language at the moment. It has
no chance of shifting Python from second place, but it probably will
shift C++ from first place in time. Nothing much you can do to make
the transition go faster, though - I just have this huge library of
heavily used code. Converting takes time, and the interop between D
and C++ necessarily has limits because of the differing semantics.

C# has been significant third-place languages for me in recent years,
but D has already overtaken that.

--
Remove 'wants' and 'nospam' from e-mail.