Survey - what language are you coming from?

Pragma ericanderton at yahoo.removeme.com
Wed Jan 3 14:08:12 PST 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> I know you all are early adopters of D, and that's a special breed
> different from the vast majority of programmers. But still, it would be
>  useful (in writing documentation) to know what language was your
> primary tool before coming to D. I also know that many of you are handy
> with multiple diverse languages, I just want to know the primary one.
>
> Asm?
> C++?
> C?
> None (D's your first language)?
> Java?
> C#?
> Python?
> Lisp?
> Ruby?
> Delphi?
> Perl?
> Cobol? <g>

I cut my teeth on C64 Basic*, and then graduated to Pascal, C, C++ and
x86 ASM in that order.

My career, however, has taken me down a completely different path.  In
no particular order:

ASP
PHP
Java
C#
VisualBasic
ColdFusion
Javascript
Python

D pretty much replaced all my other interests in terms of hobby
languages starting over 2 years ago.  So I'm more fluent in D than in
most other languages at this point.  Before that, I spent a lot of time
hacking in PHP or C#.

If I had to pick a primary language focus, I'd have to say D is #1, with
Javascript being a solid #2 as of late thanks to the current "Web 2.0"
revolution going on out there.

(*I see that I'm not alone here - it's like those things were built to
train new coders)

--
- EricAnderton at yahoo