German D article at Heise

Pragma ericanderton at yahoo.removeme.com
Wed Jan 3 14:35:31 PST 2007

Leopold Walkling wrote:
> bls schrieb:
>> http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/83145
>>
>> The article itself is okay. Unfortunately they author forget to talk
>> about D
>> s modul concept and no word about GDC.
>> Interesting fact : Groovy 1.0 came out on the same day. Groovy 44
>> comment, D
>> approx. 440 comments.
>> Most comments about D are no very qualified (bullshit)
>>
>> Bjoern
>>

> This article isn't very good at all, and especially the latest comments
> are horrible!
>
> A better one (at least that's what I think) can be found at golem.de :
> http://www.golem.de/0701/49690.html

I just wanted to say "thank you" to Leopold and Bjoern for these links.
  I tried reading them for fun and wound up learning some rudimentary
German in the process!  I guess it helps knowing what the subject matter
is already about (plus the liberal use of English words thrown in).

However, I'm finding some terms confound both dictionaries and automated
translators. For example:

http://www.heise.de/open/news/foren/go.shtml?read=1&msg_id=11899302&forum_id=110420

The use of the word "Urgestein" here must mean something like
"milestone", but I'm not sure as it doesn't translate literally in a
meaningful way; all I could find was "primary/parent/primitive rock" or
"depth stone" (from geology via wikipedia).  I guess it's a use specific
to software engineering?  Is there a dictionary for this kind of usage?

--
- EricAnderton at yahoo