German D article at Heise (ot)

mike vertex at gmx.at
Wed Jan 3 15:39:36 PST 2007

Am 03.01.2007, 23:35 Uhr, schrieb Pragma <ericanderton at yahoo.removeme.com>:

> The use of the word "Urgestein" here must mean something like
> "milestone", but I'm not sure as it doesn't translate literally in a
> meaningful way; all I could find was "primary/parent/primitive rock" or
> "depth stone" (from geology via wikipedia).  I guess it's a use specific
> to software engineering?  Is there a dictionary for this kind of usage?

It comes from "Ur-" and "-gestein". "Ur-" is usually added to the
beginning of a word if a particular thing is the origin of something or at
least very old or ancient, "-gestein" simply means rock.

So the word "Urgestein" means "ancient rock", the material from which
planets are formed is usually the meaning in the literal sense. But it's
mostly used to indicate that a person or company has been a long time
around in a certain area, with a positive meaning behind it. Like U2 is
often referred to as "Urgesteine der Rock-Szene".

This, however, does not generally apply to all parts of the
german-speaking world :)

-mike