D, Java? To D or not to D?

Boris Kolar boris.kolar at globera.com
Fri Jan 5 02:59:15 PST 2007

My advice: use the best or the most popular language for the platform.
Don't bother with "slightly better but less popular" category. So, if
you target .NET, use C# (most popular) or Boo/Nemerle (best), don't
bother with VB.NET, J# and others.

If you target JVM, use Java (also take a look at Scala - I don't like
it too much because it seems more complex than necessary).

If you must have fast startup times, or must integrate with OS API, use
C++ (most popular) or D (best). Maybe Eiffel is also worth considering.
D is not (yet) very good for real-time programming (see all garbage
collection, deterministic finalization threads for reasons), but Walter
will likely fix that soon.

I personally use D for OS-integrated projects and Java for all others.
If Boo for JVM (or native) existed, I would definitely use Boo (I'm almost
tempted to write JVM port of Boo myself).