D, Java? To D or not to D?

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Fri Jan 5 04:09:09 PST 2007

TPJ wrote:

> 1) It's said to be faster than Java. But is it really an advantage? I find
> Java fast enough for my needs, so why should I bother myself with D?

Yes, it's an advantage (speed and memory). No, you might not need it.

> 2) From FAQ: Since D can call C functions, any GUI library with a C interface
> is accessible from D.
> Does it mean that I can access *any* C library from D? If so, it a great feature!

Yes, D can call all C libraries that it has an "import module" for.
Generating these is somewhat tedious, but it can be mostly automated.

Unfortunately, most libraries for GUI development are either written
in C++ or use unavailable system libraries which makes using them hard.

> So I ask myself a question today: should I invest in learning D? Is it worth
> my efforts?

Why not ? If you already have a C/C++ and Python background, it
shouldn't be long before you decide whether you like it or not.

> To be honest, I still think that C# has better future than D.

There is room for both. And D is more "up against" C++ than C# ?
Having the GDC->JVM compiler (like Managed C++) would be nice...

--anders