Survey - what language are you coming from?

Fredrik Olsson peylow at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 09:17:48 PST 2007

Walter Bright skrev:
> I know you all are early adopters of D, and that's a special breed
> different from the vast majority of programmers. But still, it would be
>  useful (in writing documentation) to know what language was your
> primary tool before coming to D. I also know that many of you are handy
> with multiple diverse languages, I just want to know the primary one.
>
> Asm?
> C++?
> C?
> None (D's your first language)?
> Java?
> C#?
> Python?
> Lisp?
> Ruby?
> Delphi?
> Perl?
> Cobol? <g>

My hobby trail:
   Basic -> 68k asm -> Pascal -> D

My earn-$-for-a-living trail:
   Pascal -> VB -> Objective-C -> C

My university studies trail:
   C -> C++ -> Lisp -> Java

What I always liked better with Pascal over C was that for the general
case it made life much simpler, and code length shorter. And when needed
inline asm is just so much better in Pascal.

Two treats D give me now; less code, and raw power when I want to, not
because I have to.

// Fredrik Olsson