D, Java? To D or not to D?

Leandro Lucarella llucarella at integratech.com.ar
Fri Jan 5 12:41:54 PST 2007

Walter Bright escribió:
> Waldemar wrote:
>> == Quote from Walter Bright (newshound at digitalmars.com)'s article
>>> D's funding: $0
>>> D's paid staff: 0
>>> D's marketing budget: $0
>>> <g>
>>
>> How did Guido do it?
>
> I don't know (I don't know anything about the history of Python).

Python was a good language, I took more than 10 years (or more) to
spread out because of the lack of marketing (and the lack of internet
popularity, not so many people had an internet connection back then).
Same for Ruby (it's from 1995 but I'm sure you hear about it a couple of
years ago because of RoR). It only took time, I guess.

The key is the language to be good (and I think D is), then, sooner or
later, people will notice and start using it. As much as the people know
it start to spread the word, the sooner this will happen.

Another way to help D to become popular is to write good opensource
libraries and applications, specially libraries, almost all popular
languages have a good base of libraries (and the most popular ones have
good and large *standard* libraries. Of course D counts with all the C
libraries (which is *a lot* and a great base), but you can't tell people
to use raw C libraries because they are ugly to use and you lost a lot
of D power, so I think wrappers (to make them feel comfortable and D'ish
to work with) will be essential. Or, since D is a system programming
languages, porting them could be an option too, but this libraries
probably wont be as popular as C ones until D compilers are available on
every platform like C compilers are now (and I really don't think this
will happen in less than 20 years, if it ever happens at all).

Anyway, I think that, with 1.0 out there, there's time to work on useful
library base and to spread the word so D community grow fast (which is
essential to success on the first point :).

--
Leandro Lucarella
Integratech S.A.