D programs broken at Language Shootout

Bradley Smith digitalmars-com at baysmith.com
Fri Jan 5 16:27:42 PST 2007

Dave wrote:
> Frits van Bommel wrote:
>> kmk wrote:
>>> == Quote from Christof Boeckler (post06 at jamesie.de)'s article

>>> Yeah, D has always seemed to do better on AMD processors.
>>
>> Maybe Walter uses AMD and uses measurements on his dev PC for
>> optimization decisions? :)
>
> I think it's because AMD has a shorter pipeline (like the Intel PIII and
> new Intel Core 2) and isn't so sensitive to cache alignment issues, etc.
> The DMC backend optimizer was probably last enhanced when the PIII was
> the hot chip <g>
>
> Funny thing is that since Walter didn't chase the P4, now his compiler
> optimizer might sitting pretty for Core 2 :)
>
> Anyone running a Core 2 system and have a little time? Might be
> interesting...

The Shootout appears to be using different implementations for the
Pentium 4 and Sempron benchmarks. Compare the programs at the following
URLs:

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/debian/benchmark.php?test=regexdna&lang=dlang

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=regexdna&lang=dlang

One is using std.regexp, and the other isn't.