Survey - what language are you coming from?

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Fri Jan 5 18:19:15 PST 2007

Kyle Furlong wrote:
> Jeff M wrote:
>> On 2007-01-02 15:29:03 -0800, Walter Bright
>> <newshound at digitalmars.com> said:
>>
>>> I know you all are early adopters of D, and that's a special breed
>>> different from the vast majority of programmers. But still, it would
>>> be   useful (in writing documentation) to know what language was your
>>> primary tool before coming to D. I also know that many of you are
>>> handy with multiple diverse languages, I just want to know the
>>> primary one.
>>>
>>> Asm?
>>> C++?
>>> C?
>>> None (D's your first language)?
>>> Java?
>>> C#?
>>> Python?
>>> Lisp?
>>> Ruby?
>>> Delphi?
>>> Perl?
>>> Cobol? <g>
>>
>> My primary language is PHP, but I have a good knowledge of the
>> following languages:
>>
>> * PHP (including PHP Internals)
>> * C
>> * C++
>> * C#
>> * ECMAScript
>> * SQL
>>
>> At one time I knew these languages:
>>
>> * Perl
>> * Java
>>
>> I've been learning D for the past two weeks.  It's like C++ except
>> that it doesn't make me want to shove knitting needles into my eyes.
>>
>> -- Jeff
>>

> I love these newcomer anecdotes. :D

When commenting about C++ to coder friends I usually describe it as
making me "want to dig inside my skull and scrape out the pain."
(It's a phrase I took from an excellent noir story)

--
Bruno Medeiros - MSc in CS/E student