D, Java? To D or not to D?

Daniel Keep daniel.keep+lists at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 20:47:13 PST 2007

John Reimer wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 11:54:09 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
>

>>TPJ wrote:
>>
>>>1) In order to run a program written in D I have to compile it on the target OS.
>>
>>I haven't talked about this much, but it is technically feasible to
>>create a D runtime that enables "compile once, run everywhere". It is
>>not necessary to have a VM to do it.
>

> Isn't this something that LLVM can be used for?
>
> http://llvm.org/
>
> -JJR

I once thought about grabbing LLVM and poking around, but the
requirements just to compile the damn thing scared me off.  I've had so
much pain from GCC (and the entire GNU toolchain) on Windows, I just
can't be arsed anymore.

It's somewhat unfair that the OS I got stuck with is the only non-NIXish
OS left. :P

	-- Daniel