forum SW [forum protocol]

Unknown W. Brackets unknown at simplemachines.org
Sat Jan 6 14:55:12 PST 2007

I used to be the lead developer for SMF, the software mentioned.  I've
heard talk about this (not much) before, but the trouble is simple.

Too much competition.  If anyone implemented it, it would just be them.
  Some have to a degree.... it's really not that hard.  What's hard is
getting everyone to do it the same way.

It would have to be a third party, anyway.  I was never in a position I
could make it happen, for this reason.

Anyway, the closest thing currently available is RSS (or other XML feeds
various forum softwares provide)... which you can read in your favorite
client already.  You just can't respond without going to the actual
forum software.

NNTP support is available for a few softwares, but it's just not very
popular.

SMTP/POP is available for some softwares, but the trouble with it being
out-of-the-box is that it is difficult, on many servers, to configure it
properly... and worse, authentication is a lot of trouble.  The From
address is about as trustworthy as your daily lump of spam.

Walter also seems to have a general dislike of generated web content
(but somehow generated content over protocols other than HTTP are more
okay...?)  Just a feeling I've gotten from his posts on the subject.

-[Unknown]