Survey - what language are you coming from?

Steve Horne stephenwantshornenospam100 at aol.com
Sun Jan 7 16:05:14 PST 2007

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 03:01:51 +0000 (UTC), John Reimer
<terminal.node at gmail.com> wrote:

>I moved to 6510 assembler eventually and started having fun with raster
>interrupts, setting the vic II to operate in different modes on different
>scan lines. Those days were so fun! I never got extremely far into such
>low-level things, but even the beginnings were full of wonder. :)

For me it was the SID chip and music stuff. At that time I was really
ignorant of synthesizer principles, but it was a good way to learn a
few basic principles.

For my money, the best thing about C64 Basic was that it was so
limited. If you wanted to do anything worthwhile, at least if you
wanted it to run at a sensible speed, you had to learn assembler. I
remember writing my first Brezenhams-algorithm line drawing routine in
Commodore Basic and watching the pixels appear pretty much one-by-one!

Since I couldn't afford a decent assembler, in my case I ended up with
a freebie typed in from a book listing - which turned out to be a good
thing, since I could update it myself.

--
Remove 'wants' and 'nospam' from e-mail.