C/C++ style Crashes?

Lutger lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 03:28:40 PST 2007

Hasan Aljudy wrote:

> Jon Grant wrote:
>> Hi
>> Just having a look at the D language.
>> Does D still let the programmer allocate memory, cast addresses and
>> read/write
>> direct address space as we can from C/C++?
>>
>> I'd like to know if it solves this problem, Java and C# don't allow
>> such access.
>> Cheers
>> Jon
>> --
>> Weblog: http://jguk.org/
>
> You can play with pointers anyway you want, it's designed to be a
> systems language; if you can do it in C you can do it in D.
> In fact, D even lets you write assembly.

In addition to that: you can do it, but you don't need to as in C/C++.
You can program entirely without pointers.

So does D solves this problem? I'd say yes if the problem is that in
C/C++ it is too easy to crash an application.

I very rarely have bugs in my little programs that make for a crash.
More importantly, if I do have a crash it is obvious that I have messed
up bigtime and can repair the bug quickly. (within minutes, without a
debugger).