Web-Based News Headaches!

Oskar Linde oskar.lindeREM at OVEgmail.com
Mon Jan 8 04:21:26 PST 2007

Daniel Keep wrote:
> Oskar Linde wrote:
>> To add to the multitude of options, here is a quick hack I threw
>> together. I never
>> intended for this to become a web news reader interface though. :) The
>> software is
>> of course written in D. Currently, it only works really well in firefox:
>>
>> http://www.csc.kth.se/~ol/news/
>>
>> Could this be worth pursuing?
>>
>> --
>> Oskar
>>

> Bug: if you look at my reply to BCS's post "Ping: Daniel Keep", your
> reader eats all the text after "<excuses>".

Fixed.

> Also, it's putting newer stuff down the bottom.  You have no idea how
> much that bugs me.

No, I had no idea people preferred it that way. I have changed the
default to put the most recent threads on the top instead, but within
the threads, the most recent article still ends up at the bottom. Is
that better or should the thread tree be inverted too? Maybe up side
down too?

> Apart from those two things, it's very nice.  Quick and simple.  I like :)

Thanks everyone for the positive criticism. I will go ahead and add the
missing functionality:

- posting interface,
- proper Mime handling:
   o multipart messages
   o non "text/plain" parts
   o character sets other than latin1 and utf8
   o base64 and uuencoded attachement,
- a search interface (the original plan),
- and some more of this ever so fun browser compatibility work.

/Oskar