D on internetnews.com

kenny funisher at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 05:27:56 PST 2007

lol, I dunno. I don't think there is one. Perhaps he was referring to
the idea that google uses python extensively and ruby has rails.

Those aren't business models though. IMO D will start to gain publicity
soon as soon as mainstream apps and companies start to use D for
development.

I'm sure I'm not the only person pushing my company's development to
switch to D. As more companies adopt D as a development platform, it
will become "normal" to use D. In the future I will also open source our
software. Again, I'm sure that others will do this too. These sorts of
steps are huge for the "success" of D as a language.

---------------

One of mozilla's major successes is it's collaboration with google.
Because of the sponsorship, mozilla now has enough resources to fund all
kinds of development. Because D is not an application that will be
difficult -- but if D can be used as an integral component to a revenue
generating application, I think D will have a "business model" -- in the
author's method of thinking.

Just thinking off of the top of my head, perhaps, if there was someone
willing to maintain a patch to DMD that compiles the files into memory
(writable,executable PE section), then DMD could be used by games for AI
and general scripting. (compiled in real time) That'd be super cool --
like lua but better. If someone made that proposal to a game company,
things could start generating revenue that way, or at least a larger
exposure because of modders. I dunno.

Surely there has to be more ideas. I'll have to keep thinking.