suggested improvements to D

Warren D Smith wds at math.temple.edu
Tue Jan 9 16:47:04 PST 2007

>> So your suggestion for this syntax is a good one:
>> bod: {     // labeled compound statement
>>    if(cond) break bod;
>> }

>Wrong. The keyword "break" only became a synonym for "goto"; the
>inherent shortcomings of goto's are not solved this way. (Proof
>left to the reader.)

--No, Mr. Anonymous - you're completely wrong.
Gotos can spaghetti, form arbitrary directed network.
Breaks out of blocks, can only get you out
of a block, i.e. moving up in the inclusion hierarchy -
can never go in, i.e. never down in the hierarchy.

I would, however, say that the  bod: { ... }
syntax is psychologically annoying
and I might prefer  bod: block{ ... }
or something.

wds