[OT?] Tango

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Thu Jan 11 09:09:12 PST 2007

Leandro Lucarella wrote:

> Hi, I don't want to be rude, *really*, but why don't you release Tango?
> I don't care if it's not done yet, you can also make an alpha release
> and accept no patches/opinions of improvements.

The first release will be this alpha relase you talk of. As for not
accepting/looking at/considering patches/opinions etc, how could that help?
We certainly don't want to ignore anyone having something to contribute,
whether it is opinions, fixes or anything larger, but we need to feel
confident that we can actually handle incoming information.

Further on, Tango has been equally much about documentation, as about code.
Tango has very much code, but it hasn't had proper documentation besides
the API-docs. It will be hard to get proper feedback without proper
documentation to explain the concepts, especially now with so many new
users after the D 1.0 release. We need to get the documentation in a state
where it can present users with useful information.

> I'm starting to find very annoying to read "when Tango is released",
> "Tango has this", etc. Show me the code! =)

Tango is a software product, and as such it is delayed ;) As for "Tango has
this", sorry, but as we saw that a relase ready for D 1.0 slipped by, we
still wanted to tell the community that we are working on something cool.

> I really think you are underestimating the D community if you think you
> could not get any good criticism/suggestions/patches before Tango it's
> all done.

Oh, we're not underestimating the community at all, after all quite a big
part of it is already involved. I do think that heavy usage from the full
community at the stage we've been at lately (heavy refactoring and sorting
of minor issues), would only cause frustrations for both users and us. We
are doing this in our spare time, and we want to come to a level, where we
can actually handle the feedback.

> I don't really get all the secrecy on Tango, I find it
> counterproductive, and please believe me, this is not trolling. I
> really, *really* think you are doing more harm than good to Tango
> keeping it secret.

We think opposite :)

--
Lars Ivar Igesund