[OT?] Tango

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 09:18:03 PST 2007

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:08:12 -0300, Leandro Lucarella wrote:

> Hi, I don't want to be rude, *really*, but why don't you release Tango?
> I don't care if it's not done yet, you can also make an alpha release
> and accept no patches/opinions of improvements.
>
> I'm starting to find very annoying to read "when Tango is released",
> "Tango has this", etc. Show me the code! =)
>
> I really think you are underestimating the D community if you think you
> could not get any good criticism/suggestions/patches before Tango it's
> all done.
>
> I don't really get all the secrecy on Tango, I find it
> counterproductive, and please believe me, this is not trolling. I
> really, *really* think you are doing more harm than good to Tango
> keeping it secret.

The argument could be made both ways, of course.

The D community will not be the only ones that judge Tango if it is
released before it is ready.  Those on the outside will be much more
critical of an incomplete library.

Mostly the documentation has to be completed now, so that people will know
how to use it when its released.

The "secrecy" is an attempt at being level-headed and conscientious. The
Tango team wants to see Tango at strong beta quality with a sufficient
level of core documentation before it's released. I think that's a fair
goal.  Otherwise, if it were released early, can you imagine the huge
technical support burden on the Tango team as a result of users not
understanding how to get the library working?

I think much of that can be avoided with good solid documentation from the
beginning, and I think that's what the Tango team is shooting for.
Believe me, it's all for the best. :D

-JJR