Time for a new newsgroup?

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 09:29:42 PST 2007

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 14:40:29 +0900, Mike Parker wrote:

> Mark T wrote:
>> Does anyone else use the Web interface to read this newsgroup?
>>
>> The old one was ok but the PHP News Reader is pretty worthless.
>> In fact I hardly ever visit this group because of that.
>>
>> Maybe just create a new D newsgroup under google groups which would
>> have way more capabilties.
>>
>>    comp.lang.d  would be nice but it seems that it is really hard
>> these days to start a usenet group [of course comp.lang.deadlongago
>> is still out there.]
>
> Why not just set it up a reader locally on your system and be done with
> it? Thunderbird is great.

I used to use Thunderbird, but it had some strange issues with phantom
posts now and again.  It wasn't bad... but it wasn't great either. :)

I decided to try "pan".  I used the lightweight newsreader often on Linux
and was pleased to see it available for win32 as well (be sure to download
the gtk shared libraries for win32 first):

http://pan.rebelbase.com/download/

For those of us who haven't quite succeeded in migrating away from win32
completely, it's a great choice.

-JJR