[OT?] Tango

Leandro Lucarella llucarella at integratech.com.ar
Thu Jan 11 09:38:38 PST 2007

>> I really think you are underestimating the D community if you think you
>> could not get any good criticism/suggestions/patches before Tango it's
>> all done.
>
> Oh, we're not underestimating the community at all, after all quite a big
> part of it is already involved. I do think that heavy usage from the full
> community at the stage we've been at lately (heavy refactoring and sorting
> of minor issues), would only cause frustrations for both users and us. We
> are doing this in our spare time, and we want to come to a level, where we
> can actually handle the feedback.

But you are thinking only about users, what about developers? I think
developers are smart enough to know that some library is still
experimental and take a look at it even just for curiosity.

I don't know, there so many examples of open projects that was developed
this way and was successful. I think is all about the development model,
the good old The Cathedral and the Bazaar[1]. I think DMD, even having a
closed source backend, has many things of the bazaar model ("release
early, release often" =).

Anyways is your software, is your decision =)

>> I don't really get all the secrecy on Tango, I find it
>> counterproductive, and please believe me, this is not trolling. I
>> really, *really* think you are doing more harm than good to Tango
>> keeping it secret.
>
> We think opposite :)

I hope I'm the one who is wrong =)

[1] I think everybody who is developing Tango has already read this, but
just in case:
http://catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/

--
Leandro Lucarella