Time for a new default web interface please

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Thu Jan 11 15:54:52 PST 2007

Stewart Gordon wrote:
> Michael Snoyman wrote:
> <snip>
>> Some of us want to read these forums from work where we can't install
>> our own reader and/or have a firewall blocking it from working. For us
>> , a better web interface would be a huge enhancement and would allow
>> us to join the community more.
>
> What kinds of companies stronghold their employees to this level?

Mine.  For whatever reason, it seems fairly common practice to block
port 119.  Personally, I think it's somewhat ridiculous, as newsgroup
access is very useful for software development, but whatever.  This is
why I've come to like Google Groups.  It's not because I actually like
the interface, but because I can access it from everywhere.

> The purpose I see in a web interface is for catching up on things while
> away from one's usual Internet connection, e.g. on a shared machine in a
> library or somewhere.

That too.

Sean