Time for a new default web interface please

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 12 09:46:04 PST 2007

Sean Kelly wrote:
> Stewart Gordon wrote:
>> Michael Snoyman wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> Some of us want to read these forums from work where we can't install
>>> our own reader and/or have a firewall blocking it from working. For
>>> us , a better web interface would be a huge enhancement and would
>>> allow us to join the community more.
>>
>> What kinds of companies stronghold their employees to this level?
>
> Mine.  For whatever reason, it seems fairly common practice to block
> port 119.

Have you tried asking why they do this?

> Personally, I think it's somewhat ridiculous, as newsgroup
> access is very useful for software development, but whatever.
<snip>

Indeed, I imagine nearly every Internet technology was designed with
some serious practical purpose in mind.  Probably too many people are
too quick to dismiss such things as IRC, MSN Messenger and the like as
mere toys.  If people are doing this with newsgroups now, this must be
very bad news.  What next?

Stewart.