gdc / nokia / arm-*-gnueabi

Chad J gamerChad at _spamIsBad_gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 00:46:25 PST 2007

Michael Dominic Kostrzewa wrote:
> Hey
>
> I'm building an arm gdc cross-compiler that'll compile D code to run on
> maemo[0] platforms (nokia 770[1] and nokia n800[2] internet tablets).
> There is a bunch of us here at nokia interested in experimenting with
> D/making it a core part of our platform in the long run.
>
> The good:
> I was able to build an arm-*-linux cross-compiling gdc toolchain & phobos.
> It works perfectly. The produced code runs correctly on the device, even
> including the garbagge-collector. I had to apply some patching here and
> there (mostly to phobos) but nothing specifically magical.
>
> Screenshot:
> http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=329290303&size=l
>
> The bad:
> We're no longer using arm-*-linux target. We're using the newer
> arm-*-linux-gnueabi (armel) abi. This is a more powerfull eabi that allows
> thumb interworking, etc. The gdc doesn't seem to work when compiled for
> this target. To be precise -- the cc1d segfaults during compilation of
> certain language structs (it happens when trying to compile phobos). The
> segfaults are not totally random nor _very_ often (ie. it's possible to
> compile some phobos files without problems). But something is obviously
> broken ;)
>
> Some data:
>
> Debug backtrace of cc1d leading to segfault:
> http://pastebin.ca/315685
>
> Outout during phobos building:
> http://pastebin.ca/315687
>
> Strace of cc1d leading to segfault:
> http://pastebin.ca/315694
>
> I'm building gdc using gcc-3.4.4 from CodeSourcery (this is our default
> toolchain).
>
> Any help/pointers would be appreciated!
>
> Regards,
>
> [0]: http://www.maemo.org
> [1]: http://www.nokia.com/770
> [2]: http://www.nseries.com/n800

I'm sorry I can't really help since compiler crashes scare me, but I
would like to say that I love what you are doing.

I hope to write games for mobile devices as soon as college goes away,
and D is my language of choice.  So the more mobile devices with D
support, the better.

Thank you so much!