Comparison chart worries

Lutger lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 01:18:42 PST 2007

It is a good idea to remove the table. So far I have not seen any
discussion about D where this was not the subject of criticism at the
least, and it even incites flames. Very distracting.

The table gives the impression of a checklist where D is superior to the
languages it is compared with. This could only be done by leaving out
the standard libraries of the 'inferior' languages, which is highly
misleading because these are an integral part of programming in those
languages.

And then people even seem to miss that only core language features are
compared.

Another problem is that the chart suggests that more features is better
perse. Although Walter Bright is not afraid of making D a rich language,
I'm quite sure this is not his stance.

The comparison chart serves two purposes: to give a quick overview to
the D language and to market D against other C family languages. I
suggest to keep the first purpose and let the marketing be done by what
is already there in the other comparison pages: programmers are not
easily wowed by checklists.

For example: keep the table for everything that D has 'yes' (almost
everything), and leave the other languages out altogether. Then you have
room to insert a one line summary of the feature, something like that.