[OT?] Tango - what's in it?

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Sun Jan 14 08:39:29 PST 2007

Daniel Keep wrote:

> Ok, even if you're not ready to release just yet, can you at least let
> us know what's in Tango?
>
> Over the past few days, I keep thinking "well, I need a library for X.
> I could implement it myself, but what if Tango has it, and then I have
> to go change all my code?".
>
> Even just a quick run-down would be good.
>
> -- Daniel
>
> P.S.  Keep up the good work; from the names that have been popping up in
> relation to Tango, I can't wait to see what it looks like :)

>From the first announcement:

* Atomic mark/sweep garbage collection by default, with a malloc-based
stub allocator to serve as an example for future development.
* User interception of important language and system-level errors and
events.
* Various levels of concurrency, including process control, kernel
threads, and fibers (stack threads).
* A robust IO framework based on the Mango design.
* An array of mathematics routines ranging from low-level IEEE interop.
to high-level statistics and numerics.
* A networking model that is growing to encompass some of the most
common IO designs and network protocols.
* Standard C, POSIX, and system API support.
* Basic text processing, a container package, logging facilities, and more.

I think you will find few surprises beyond this, but I can mention
non-blocking IO (selectors), ftp, http, locale, time and calendar support,
some crypto algorithms. The rest is in the details, I think, and what we're
still undecided on. There is a bit of useful template functionality in
there too.

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net