Comparison chart worries

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 13:47:07 PST 2007

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 11:42:17 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:

> I don't agree at all that the table is misleading, deceptive, dishonest,
> etc. It says right up front what it is - a comparison of *core* language
> features. You can do anything in a library in any language.

We're not saying it is so.  But public perception is a much stronger
argument. Those appearances may be costly to D.

> I agree, though, that it is out of date with respect to the latest
> releases of C# and Java.

Well, I guess that would annoy people too and strengthen they're
argument that the chart isn't accurate?

> I also agree that the table is meant to draw attention, with the
> brightly colored boxes, etc. Being a little confrontational helps get
> discussions going. And yes, it throws down the gauntlet and is in your face.

Is the programming community in any need of help in starting
confrontational discussions? :(

Those aren't the kind of discussions we need.

> But also, now that 1.0 is here, the time for that may have passed. To
> that end, I've just removed the entries for the non-D languages. People
> coming to D from those languages already know what they can do, and can
> form their own conclusions.

Well, I don't think it matters whether D is at 1.0 or not, but thank you
for being open to changing this.  I think it's the best thing to do.

-JJR