Sun's "Fortress" language

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Mon Jan 15 17:21:07 PST 2007

Many of you probably already saw this on Slashdot, but apparently Sun's
working on some sort of "Fortran-killer" by the name of Fortress.
   http://research.sun.com/projects/plrg/
I know there are a few others here who are interested in numerical
computing so I thought I'd repost it here.  Guy Steele, Jr. is the
principal investigator behind the project.  Wasn't he a big Lisp guy?

Anyway, it looks kind of interesting.  This is supposedly actual
Fortress source code:
    http://research.sun.com/projects/plrg/faq/NAS-CG.pdf

Looks pretty much like a LaTeX typeset algorithm.  So seems like you'll
need a fancy editor to program in Fortress.  FAQ says it uses unicode
symbols for variables and operators.

Looks like it's still in the very early stages.  The language is meant
to be cross-platform, but their current implementation targets "the JVM".

--bb