Comparison chart worries

Kevin Bealer kevinbealer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 00:24:59 PST 2007

I'm kind of glad its not going away completely, because I've always found the
links on column #0 provide a neat resource for finding things like "static if"
when you don't remember the syntax (or keyword!) that makes it tick.

I'm wondering if a larger version like this would be useful:

|String support:
| D                   C                   C++           Java
| UTF8,16,32 types    char*, null         string and    Special class with
| used with D's       terminated          wstring are   language support;
| static + dynamic    arrays with         ASCII and     is an immutable
| arrays.             libc's string.h     UTF16 array   array of UTF16
|                     support functions.  classes.      codepoints.

It could be a mixture of "what exists" plus "how to do it".

But maybe this is beyond the scope of this site for now -- it would take a lot of
typing and maybe some research to fill in such a table and that might be better
done via wiki.

Kevin